Thread veins, or spider veins, are very fine dilated veins lying just beneath the surface of the skin. Heredity has a strong influence in causing them. Hormonal surges as at the onset of periods and during pregnancy also make thread veins appear. In some patient’s thread veins are caused by varicose veins. Microsclerotherapy is a safe and effective treatment to improve the appearance of these veins. It involves injecting a fluid “sclerosant” directly into the lumen of the vein with a very fine needle. This irritates the lining of the veins causing the walls to stick together. Blood stops flowing through the veins, which are then absorbed by the body over a period of a few weeks. The blood is directed back to the deeper veins.
Although harmless, they can cause distress as you may feel self-conscious – particularly if they appear on an exposed part of your body such as the legs. Microsclerotherapy is used to treat small to very small veins on legs.
WHAT SKIN CONDITIONS ARE TREATED
- Thread veins / spider veins on the legs
The TREATMENT PROCESS
POST TREATMENTRead more
BOOK A COMPLIMENTARY CONSULTATION
Microsclerotherapy *30 minutes in length per session*
Our Microsclerotherapy treatment is available in Bristol and Cardiff.
Benefits of having this treatment with us:
- We are Fully Qualified medical practitioners. Cosmetic procedures like ‘Botox’ are prescription only medicines (POMS) that should only be prescribed and given by a Doctor, Dentist, Nurse Prescriber or Pharmacist Prescriber.
- Our team has years of experience in aesthetic treatments. We ensure all treatments are carried out to the highest standards, to achieve optimum results.
- We pride ourselves on patient care and experience, therefore, our experienced team will ensure that your visit and treatment is as informative, comfortable and professional as possible
- We have very high patient satisfaction. Our patients are very happy with their results resulting in many returning to have additional areas treated. We also have many that recommend friends and family to our clinics.
- We are committed to evidence-based practice and use premium products. We use FDA and CE approved products for the treatments.
- We are registered with Save Face. This government approved register is the highest level of recognition available for professionals working within aesthetic cosmetic medicine within the UK.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You’ll have the opportunity to ask your medical practitioner any questions as part of your consultation, but to start the ball rolling here are the answers to some that our patients most frequently asked questions.
A dilute irritant solution is injected into the vein using a very fine needle. This damages the vessel lining causing it to close off. The body treats this as damaged tissue which is slowly absorbed over about three months. Sometimes all the thread veins disappear. In rare cases the treatment may not work.
The injections are almost painless, and all the thread veins can usually be treated in one half hour session. They look worse to begin with and large vessels may go black. Fading starts after three weeks and it will be three months before the main benefit is seen and improvement continues for a year. For this reason, it is a good idea to plan treatment some time before your holiday. The treatment will last for several years, but other thread veins will often develop over time.
Remember it is not always possible to achieve 100% clearance. We aim for 60-80% improvement in appearance and most of our patients tell us that they’re satisfied with the results they can see between one and four treatments.
The number of treatments varies and is dependent upon the patient and the extent of the condition, but each session must have a 4-6 week interval. You should budget for up to 4 treatments over a period of 4-12 months, although this will depend on your response to the treatment, with some people achieving 60% to 80% improvement in appearance after just one session. This and other aspects of the treatment will be discussed in more detail at the pre-treatment consultation.
This is not a painful procedure. The injections are made superficially with a tiny needle. Some people feel nothing, some little stings. This will vary from person to person.
In most cases, treatment takes approximately 45 minutes and no recovery time is needed so normal activity can be undertaken immediately afterwards.
The injections will cause some redness and welts, possibly with irritation. Your legs may look bruised. The veins may also look worse before they look better. Sometimes a darker colour appears under the skin, but by day 10 to 14 you will see an improvement. Within 4 to 6 weeks the veins will look very much as they did before the treatment and the full benefit will be seen after approximately 12 weeks.
Everyone is different. These guides do not define success or failure.